Sunday 3 June 2007

Carbon Offset projects 2

As a follow up to yesterday’s post about agricultural methane capture, I found another similar project on a much larger scale. For the last year, I have used BP’s targetneutral scheme to offset my CO2 emissions from driving. I was taking a look through their current projects and discovered this livestock project in Mexico which seems very impressive.

I have to admit to being a bit of a sceptic when it comes to some offsetting schemes – I’m not sure whether they are really there to soothe your conscience and maybe make a few quid for someone who is less than scrupulous. What gives me confidence in both the companies that I have mentioned is that they have both gone to some lengths to prove their credentials. Targetneutral have Jonathon Porritt, former Director of Friends of the Earth, and a number of other eminent greens on their advisory board to help me overcome my general suspicion of oil companies. CarbonNeutral have their projects independently audited and seem to set themselves very high standards and their reputation seems good.

And just to be clear, I have no association with either of these companies beyond being a customer.

No comments: